Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Turkey Meatloaf, Mashed Potatoes, and Freezer Meals

Today was possibly my last day of work for a while!  I went into work this morning and then went to the doctors.  We decided to induce tomorrow since my doctor would be at the hospital.  Recently I bought a bunch of food to make freezer meals for when baby comes.  I guess that means I HAVE to make them today otherwise the food will go bad!

Here is a list of things that I made:

  • Kaylee's Casserole - I found this on OAMC with Once a Month Mom.  I haven't tried this recipe at all, so I'll have to get back to you when we actually eat it.

  • Chicken and Rice Casserole - I got this recipe from my MIL.  I think this recipe is too much for us, so I always split it up into two containers.  I usually make it when someone has a baby and I give them one and we eat one for dinner.

  • Stuffed Peppers - I always use Giada De Laurentiis' recipe for stuffed peppers and zucchini.  I never have stuffed the zucchini because DH isn't a huge zucchini fan.  I made the filling for the peppers and I added in some grated zucchini to use it up.  I stuffed the peppers, then I put them on a baking sheet, and stuck them in the freezer to freeze individually.  Once they were totally frozen I put them in a ziplock bag.  This way we could cook what we want instead of cooking all 6 at once.  I haven't tried this before either, so I'll have to get back to you if it works well.

  • Stuffed Buffalo Chicken - I also found this on Once a Month Mom.  I only used 3/4 cup of butter because that's all I had out.  I also added some ranch dressing to the mix because I always add ranch to anything buffalo.  I haven't tried it either.  Again, I'll have to get back to you on the finished product.

  • Lasagna - I always use the Barilla noodles recipe to make lasagna.  In my cheese mix though I add garlic and some spices (oregano, parsley, basil).

  • Tomato Soup Cake - This recipe made 5 mini loafs.  I got this from my MIL as well.  Sounds weird, but it is really good!

  • Zucchini Bread - Again this came from my MIL as well.  This recipe I lost on my kitchen table, so I'll have to get it for you at another time.
I was also going to do a meatloaf for the freezer, but I didn't have the time.  I spent 5 hours in the kitchen cooking and preparing and had to be back at work for 7-9.  For dinner I did make a meatloaf and mashed potatoes.  For meatloaf I always use the Weight Watchers recipe for Turkey Meatloaf.  I do mine a little different though.  I saute the onions, peppers, and garlic on the stove and let it cool before adding to meat mixture.  I think they cook better in the meatloaf and have a better taste.  I've made it before without doing that and DH has told me that the onions are too strong.

I can't have meatloaf without mashed potatoes.  But I always cheat with them, hehehe!  I buy the Ore Ida Steam and Mash Garlic Seasoned Mashed Potatoes.  These taste really good and I can always have them on hand in the freezer.  I take small portions out and then microwave them.  I usually get two uses out of a bag.


No comments:

Post a Comment