Monday, June 28, 2010

Slow Cooker Mango Pork

Today DD and I went to meet up with DF Bridget who was in from Chicago. We went over to the west side to Johnny Mango's. It was a cute little restaurant and had tasty food! Keeping with the mango theme I decided to make something with mango for dinner!! Even though I didn't eat anything with mango at Johnny Mango's!!

I wanted tonights dinner to be in the slow cooker like this recipe says, but my pork wasn't thawed in time! I got this recipe from onceamonthmom.com. I did mine a little different though, of course!

First off I used an Italian marinated pork loin. I have since learned a lot about pork loins from I think Alton Brown on his show "Good Eats". In the past I've bought the premarinated loins because I thought they tasted better. But I learned that they have much more additives and preservatives than if you just buy a plain ol pork loin. And the plain ol ones are cheaper! When I was just a few months preggers I made one of the Italian marinated ones and just couldn't eat it. I have since learned that my taste is still not liking them! Haha!

I mixed all the ingredients except the mango and the italian spices (since it was already a seasoned loin) together with the pork in a ziplock bag. I let it marinade for the afternoon in the fridge. I put everything in the pan and began to cook. Well, now I know why it should be done in a slow cooker!!! The sauce cooked up so fast that it began to burn!!!

I also added fresh mango instead of frozen because I had a mango on hand. To accompany the dish I made rice and peas. I really couldn't eat this meal because of the Italian pork loin taste. I am interested to try this in the slow cooker with frozen mango though.

No comments:

Post a Comment