Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day and Chicken Meatball Kabobs!

Happy Father's Day to all my father, grandfather, and godfather readers!!!

Today we had a nice relaxing day at home. We were a/c hogs all day until after dinner when we ventured out to let DD play in the pool. This recipe I found in Parents Magazine and I have been so excited to try it ever since. It was such a good recipe!!

Last night I mad a zesty dipping sauce of 1 tablespoon of minced shallots, juice of 1/2 lemon, and 1/4 teaspoon lemon in a bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used organic Stoneyfield as to utilize the point system to get a free yo baby yogurt!!!), 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 2 teaspoons each fresh dill and mint, and a little minced garlic. I'm not gonna lie, I tried it when it was done and it was super yummy!! Even better today though! It was sort of like a tzatkiki sauce you'd have on greek food.

This afternoon I mixed 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1 egg, 1/4 cup minced shallots, 1 tablesppon each mint and parsley (I used dried parsley because that's what I had.), 1 tablespoon olive oil, minced garlic, 1 teaspoon cumin (oooops, forgot this), salt (forgot this too!), and pepper (also forgot, oh well!). Then I added 1 pound ground chicken breast and I shaped into meatballs.

As DH was heating up the grill (yes I made him work on Father's Day!! If you knew the Mother's Day I'd had you'd agree it was ok!!), I began to make the skewers. The recipe called for 12 skewers, but I made it into 6, 2 for each of us. I did one meatball, then a red pepper, then a zucchini. I repeated this until I ended with 3 meatballs on a skewer. Instead of brushing with olive oil this time, I sprayed with cooking spray. I use olive oil cooking spray so I figured this would work just as well and it did. It was also less messy. The recipe also says to add grape tomatoes to ends of skewers in the last 1 to 2 minutes, but we didn't do this.

I also made corn on the cob as our side. To my surprise, DD actually gobbled up the chicken meatballs! She didn't care for the sauce at all. DH said that it tasted much like a gyro since the meat of a gyro is processed lamb and the same texture. I may end up making the meatballs into patties sometime and stuffing them in pita's with the sauce as a "mock" gyro. Again I know that DH liked because he already made his lunch container!!!

I have to say that although I did not plan my weeks worth of meals out or grocery shopping like I said I would last week, I am very surprised that we were able to have something different each night and not go out to eat at all! Now it's Sunday night again and I have no game plan for this week as well. I also have a busy week at work, so I guess we'll see how well this weeks meals turn out! Oh that and if Baby P decides to show up this week then all plans are out the window no matter what!

Skewers all done.

Finished plate.

No comments:

Post a Comment